The 13th Annual SupplySide West coincided this year with Friday the 13th. But there was no need for your rabbit’s foot or other lucky charms. The event, held on Nov. 11–13 in Las Vegas, featured more than 1,100 exhibitors, nearly 90 hours of educational opportunities, and a wide range of ingredient innovations suitable to make foods and beverages better for you without compromising their functionality.
Here are just a few (actually I picked 13 because it seems to be a lucky number) of the innovations that I saw while walking the floor:
- Beverage prototypes from ADM demonstrated the use of the company’s ingredients for adding fiber, plant sterols, and soy without compromising taste. A pina colada meal-replacement beverage contained CardioAid plant sterols, Fibersol-2 dietary soluble fiber, Pro-Fam isolated soy protein, and Novasoy soy isoflavones.
- Flavored yogurt bears provided a tasty and easy-to-chew way to deliver probiotics to children. Howaru Probiotic Yogurt Bears, presented by Danisco and Anlit Advanced Nutrition Supplements, was formulated with Latobacillus acidolphilus NCFM and Bifidobacterium lactis HN019.
- To demonstrate that fibers have different properties depending on the ingredient and the formulation it is used in, National Starch Food Innovation incorporated a range of fiber ingredients in prototype concepts. A cranberry-oatmeal breakfast cookie, made with natural Hi-maize resistant starch, increases satiety, promotes healthy blood sugar levels and digestive health, and provides 7 g of dietary fiber per cookie.
- Dairy ingredients, showcased by Fonterra USA Inc., can be used in foods and beverages to offer consumers satiety or the feeling of fullness. The new PowerProtein line, specifically made for use in bars and snack foods, combined the nutritional advantages of high-quality dairy protein with functionality, texture, and flavor.
- A new high-protein soy nugget was launched by Solae Co. for use in nutritional bars, snacks, bakery products, cereals, and other products. The ingredient, Supro Nugget 570, offered 90% protein while optimizing taste, texture, and nutrition.
- A prototype chewing gum functioned as an immune system booster for adults as well as children. The product—developed through a collaboration between Frutarom and Tab Laboratories—featured BLIS K12, a new oral probiotic bacteria. A one-piece serving delivers 20 mg of the probiotic—an amount shown to help boost immune system protection.
- A variety of prototype concepts from Wild Flavors Inc. highlighted new developments in flavor, natural colors, health ingredients, and sweetener technologies. For example, an enhanced water featured Natural Cactus Jamaica Type Flavor, Clear Green Emulsion, Beauty Ingredient Blend, OnlySweet Stevia Extract, and Taste Modifiers for Stevia.
- A beverage prototype, Peach Tea Flavored Drink Mix with Antioxidants from Tea, was developed by Tate & Lyle. The formulation used 3 g of Promitor Soluble Corn Fiber, a source of prebiotic fiber, and was sweetened with Splenda Sucralose, a zero-calorie sweetener.
- A 100-calorie snack bar for kids—Birthday Cake Crispy Protein Bar—was formulated by Hilmar Ingredients and featured a blend of whey protein ingredients (isolate, concentrate, and hydrolysate) and whey protein crisps.
- Grain Processing Corp. showcased a whole-grain breakfast cookie prototype that incorporates fiber provided by TruBran F80T oat fiber. It also contains Inscosity B656 modified food starch that helps to increase moisture and overall shelf life, and Maltrin OR R120 organic rice maltodextrin for controlling sweetness.
- Glanbia Nutritionals unveiled a range of chilled beverage prototypes such as ProNOS RTD Protein Shake, a 200-calorie drink that offers optimal muscle recovery, delivering 35 g of whey protein as well as the company’s proprietary nitric oxide synthase activator.
- Ogawa & Co. Ltd.’s Stevia Optimizer system cuts the unpleasant aftertaste of stevia, improves the sweet-taste appearance, and enhances stevia’s character of building body. Salt Taste Improvers enhance salty taste and help potassium chloride’s taste profile.
- Three varieties of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry flavors, designed by Synergy Flavors, offer nine distinct flavor profiles that suit different nutritional formulations.
The above developments provide formulators with opportunities to address challenges in a variety of areas related to health, including weight management, diabetes, immune health, digestive function, joint health, and fiber and mineral fortification.
Still superstitious? What did you find of interest at the show?